Monday, February 15, 2016

Healthy and happy

This week's recipe is super easy and I must admit that I am a little bit late on this bandwagon. However we tried this recently and I have to say, it was a revelation! It's so delicious and so so simple. It makes a meal feel so much healthier and when it's this little effort, well why not?! What is it??

Cauliflower Rice!!





Myself and the boyfriend do a take-away every friday as our little treat. It's lovely because at the end of the week cooking is the last thing that I want to do. My bf loves it because we eat healthy every other night of the week and it's nice to have a night off from stictly healthy eating. So you might think that adding a healthy part to our take-away would be frowned upon?! Nope! This tastes so good that it was embraced with open arms, and requested again with enthusiasm!

The technique is simple and you'll find a dozen recipes online but I have discovered a few little pointers that make sure that you have the most delicious cauliflower rice every time!!

The most important step is blanching the cauliflower before processing it. I saw an old episode of American Test Kitchen where they made cauliflower soup and emphasized the importance of blanching to remove the bitter taste. The first time I made cauliflower rice I actually included this step by accident - I started cooking the cauliflower normally and then realized that was wrong. However the accident turned into the perfect tip and when I make it without blanching it just does not taste as good. So it's definitely optional but I would highly recommend it!

Cauliflower Rice

Ingredients
1 Cauliflower
Boiling water
Olive oil
Onions (optional)

Equipment -
Saucepan
Colandar
Food processor/nutribullet
Frying pan

Instructions

1- Chop up your cauliflower and bring some water to the boil in a saucepan

2- Put the cauliflower into the boiling water for just 1-2 minutes

3- Drain cauliflower and rinse with cold water to rapid cool


4 - Blitz the cauliflower for a few seconds, in small batches



5- Heat a frying pan with a small amount of olive oil and onions if you wish

6- Fry the cauliflower for 3-4 minutes


7 - And serve instead of rice!! Done - delicious


So that's it! Next week we are travelling so there won't be a post but hopefully it will mean I have lots of lovely photos for the next week. Until then if you try my little tips let me know and if you have any little tips for healthy changes please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...