Monday, November 30, 2015

Vegan Peanut-Butter Cookies




This week I have been incredibly busy, apparently finishing a doctorate is not easy! Between presentations, essays, literature reviews, and work it’s hard to find a minute in the day! This week has also been challenging because my favourite person (bf) has been away and so for his return today I planned a special meal with an even more special dessert. In fact this dessert was designed for two people in my life that I was missing this weekend. 


 
One of my bf’s favourite flavours is peanut-butter and therefore this weekend I found a peanut butter cup ice-cream to finish off the delicious dinner I planned for his return. However ice-cream alone does not a dessert make and therefore I decided to make a few peanut butter cookies to be gently heated and go with the ice-cream and of course the only way was peanut butter.

Now since they were going to be peanut flavoured I knew that I could also make this recipe for another important person that I really missed this weekend and who has a particular penchant for peanuts, so hopefully she enjoys the recipe and maybe we can make it together this Christmas. This, however necessitated the cookies to be vegan. They are not only vegan but also wheat free, not that many people need that! So actually these cookies are kind of healthy, although not very and whatever you do………..don’t tell my boyfriend!!


 The cookies are crispy on the outside and have a delicious crumb (to sound all Mary Berry on you!). They are intensely peanut flavoured with a little sweetness although if you prefer them sweeter, feel free to increase the sugar by about 50%. They went perfectly with the ice-cream but I can also imagine them going excellently with coffee! And……………. they go with the ice-cream two ways, so read to the end! 



Vegan Peanut-butter Cookies (Gluten free, in case you’re celiac) (adapted from thebigmansworld.com)
250g Peanut-Butter (Chunky or Smooth, your choice)
100g brown sugar
100g white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp water, allowed to sit for 15 mins)
75g ground almonds
50g 70% dark chocolate chips (more if you want)

11.      Prepare your flax eggs and preheat the oven to 170’C/325'F/Gas mark 3.
2
22.       Add the sugar and whisk until light and frothy
3
33.       Add the peanut-butter and stir.
4
44.       Finally add the almond and dark chocolate and stir everything together

5
55.       Form into little balls and then flatten, then bake for 15 minutes but keep an eye on them.


6
66.       They are done when they have browned around the edges then allow to cool. They will get    
         firmer as they cool
    
    Alternatively you can make cookie dough for ice-cream, since they can be eaten raw w/o issue!!!
1.       Form into tiny balls and then flatten on a plate.
2.       Put the plate into the freezer.
3.       Add to ice-cream for a cookie dough sensation!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...