Monday, August 10, 2015

New Favourite Snack

Sit down! Take a load off, and let me tell you about my new favourite snack!


As I mentioned last week, I've been working on a number of cakes recently, and as a result, eating a lot of cake recently. So during the week I've been attempting that whole "clean eating" thing. Now, I fundamentally disagree with the term "clean eating." So what? My delicious cakes are somehow dirty?! I think not! In fact I fully ensure not!! #foodsafetyiscool. The psychologist in me (I know I rarely mention this) knows that making some foods clean (good) and some foods unclean (bad) is not a psychologically healthy way to approach nutrition. Not to mention that much of the "clean eating foods" that people talk about online are just over-priced processed (in a natural way) stuff from whole foods and basically it feels like a scam! All of that said, I can see the merit of watching one's consumption of sugars and simple carbohydrates. Therefore this is something that I do during the week to balance out all the wonderful cake consumption.

The hardest thing about this is that some nights you just need crackers to get you from home time through the dinner prep. These babys are just the trick. They are crunchy, a tiny bit sweet and perfect with cheese, jam, or just on their own. Not to mention they have all the health benefits of chia seeds and flax seeds, which adds up to a wonderful hit of omega-3 fatty acid, which is very very good for you!



They are easy to assemble, but take a while to cook so I would recommend doing them on a day where you are gonna be around the house and I would recommend doing multiple batches at once.

Flax and Chia Seed Crackers

165g flax seeds (I used a mix of golden and brown)
3 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp almond flakes
350ml water
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract



1 - Preheat your oven to 100'C/210'F. Place your flax and chia seeds in a container and cover with
     250ml of the water. Let this sit for 15 minutes.
2 - Add 50ml more water and let sit for another 5 minutes
3 - You can add the last 50ml if the mixture is still thick and add with this add the agave nectar,
      vanilla extract and then fold in the almond flakes.
4 - On a baking sheet spread the mixture out as thin as you can (it's tough)



5- Now bake for a long time! Bake for 90 minutes before flipping over and baking for another 60
     minutes on the other side.
6 - Let cool and then break into pieces

These can be made savory by just swapping out the agave nectar and vanilla extract for salt and any selection of herbs, my suggestion would be rosemary! Try these and tell me how much you love eating healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...