Monday, March 2, 2015

A little sweetness, a healthy treat

Since my last post I have not been very good at updating. It is probably due to the lack of sugar in my life right now. Last week I even started a 'Better Call Saul,' review and just left it sitting open on my laptop all day, without adding to it. I'm not sure if that says more about my sugar deprivation or about the show. If I'm honest I'm not sold on that show yet, emphasis on the yet! It has potential in my opinion but it seems to be a slow builder. In case you are wondering, since we are talking Netflix, I am about 8 episodes into season 3 of 'House of Cards' and will be doing a review when we're done. (Yes I dedicated a whole day to it this weekend, no judgement!!)

Anyway so this weekend I also found myself craving sugar and sweets and buying things like 'crackers' that are really biscuits and decided to just go ahead and make something nice. So I present to you the delicious hazelnut macaroons -





These are so so simple, you can thrown them together in literally 20 minutes and then some resting time. They are crispy on the outside and deliciously chewy in the middle. They are a little bit sweet without giving you a sugar rush and packs a fantastic protein punch with all the nuts. However it is important to consider that nuts are high in calories so make them small and they are about 30kcals each (calculated on approx 48 per batch. For added flavour I suggest toasting your hazelnuts and maybe adding a teaspoon of amaretto, but this can be done in 10 minutes with three ingredients.


Hazelnut Macaroons

4 egg whites + pinch of salt
4 tbsp caster sugar
200g Ground Hazelnuts
1 tsp ameretto

1 - Beat the egg whites and salt until they form peaks.

2 - Add the caster sugar one table spoon at a time and beat until you have stiff peaks

Look at the delicious meringue
3 - Add the toasted nuts and fold in, finally add your amaretto and fold until consistent.


4 - Transfer to a piping bag with a star tip, then pipe onto a lined baking tray


5 - Bake for 10 minutes, turn off the oven and then leave sitting in the cooling oven for crispness


Then just enjoy, without the guilt =)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...