Monday, March 17, 2014

A Paddy's Day Smoothie

Happy St. Patrick's Day!! This year St. Patrick's day (which is never called st patty's day in Ireland, just as a side note) is on a Monday which means a couple of things; Irish people abroad have to work today and no matter where you are, if you celebrate tonight then you have a whole week of work to face afterwards. This second element is potential trouble if you over-do things tonight. So I decided to take this oppertunity to show you my St Paddy's style way of getting over the night before - a green smoothie.





Now I should note that I'm not a big drinker, despite being Irish (surprise: stereotypes aren't always correct). However like most people I have had one too many of an occasion and I have know others who made this same mistake. Therefore I have learned a thing or two about recovery. It seems to me that the morning after the night before requires carbs to settle the stomach and from there on in hydration is the name of the game. This smoothie is designed to be consumed at about lunch time to give you a boost and can be altered to meet your next day needs. If you feel worse in your stomach I'd recommend using milk instead of water and if your head is the issue then use all coconut water. Whatever you choose, do not drink this as a breakfast because your stomach already has enough liquids, it needs carbs and time to deal with that situation, OK?

Most people think that smoothies need to include banana, which is an issue for anyone who doesn't like bananas. However smoothies can be made banana-free. The purpose of the banana is to act as a binding agent to keep everything from separating and looking kinda gross. However many other fruits, including mango, work the same way. So this smoothie contains no banana, but feel free to add some if you just love banana. Otherwise follow these steps and enjoy.

What you will need: 1 Blender - I prefer the cup type that you can drink straight from but any blender is good.


Ingredients
2 Handfuls of Spinach
100ml water/ 50ml water and 4 ice-cubes
100ml coconut water
1/2 Mango
150g peaches (I've used canned peaches but make sure they are stored in juice not syrup)
2 tbsp fat free greek yoghurt
1 tsp almond butter




1. Put your spinach, water and coconut water into the blender and blend until smooth.

2. Add your fruits, yoghurt and almond butter and blend until smooth.

3. Enjoy and thank me when you feel better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...