Monday, January 20, 2014

Quadruple-stuff Oreo Cheesecake


 Some weekends you just need a treat, and other weekends (after two weeks of studying and stress) you need a special treat! A special treat needs to be different, indulgent and mildly addictive, just enough that you find yourself having a second piece without knowing how you got to the kitchen. This might even be slightly more addictive than that but hey, in for a penny and all that. We all heard last year the research coming out of Connecticut claiming that Oreos are more addictive that cocaine. Now without going into the details of the research methods etc I think I'm willing to accept the basic premise - Oreos are extremely addictive and I don't need experiments to prove that. I only need this cheesecake recipe and one portion of your time...... maybe two, it's up to you!





 
I would love to share some adorable childhood oreo story but unfortunately I don't think oreos were even available in my country growing up. In fact I was almost 20 the first time I remember having an Oreo and I hated the cookie part but got addicted to the cream filling, so for years I'd buy 'Double stuff Oreos' and only eat the inside. Gradually as I've matured my tastes seemed to have matured also, to that of a 5 year old, and now I like the cookie part as much as the creamy stuffing. So that's my incredibly interesting oreo story (movie rights reserved) but if by any chance you are reading this and have a sweet oreo story I would love to hear it. Anyway on with the recipe.

In this cheesecake I wanna create the effect of having a, not just double stuff but, quadruple the amount of stuffing oreo. Therefore it needed to have biscuit layers on the top and bottom and the cheesecake needed to emulate the delicious oreo cream. To do this I added twice as much vanilla extract as some recipes call for and instead of sourcream I used greek yoghurt to keep the cheesecake nice and sweet. The bottom biscuit layer is thick and sweet from the cream mixed into it but the top layer has less sweetness and really emphasizes some of the tart notes that the biscuits contain. All-in-all a slice should look like an oreo cookie broken in half.



Quadruple-stuff Oreo Cheesecake (serves 16)

4 packets of original oreos
2.5 tablespoons butter

675g Cream cheese ( I used Full-fat Philladelphia)
200g Caster Sugar
4 tsp Vanilla extract
5 eggs
40g flour + 2 pinches salt
200g 0% Greek Yoghurt

1. Take 2.5 packets of original oreos (leave the stuffing in) and smash them up in a small plastic bag.

2. Preheat your oven to 180' C/ 325'F. Pour the contents into a bowl and add 1.5 tablespoons of
    butter, then microwave this for approx 20 seconds before mixing.

3. Line the bottom of a 9inch diameter cake tin with a removable base with greaseproof paper.

4. Pour in the biscuit mixture, spread evenly and press down firmly. Then bake in the oven for 15-20
    mins.
5. During this time prepare your cheesecake mixture. Beat together the cream cheese, vanilla extract
    and sugar.
6. Add the eggs one at a time, then sieve over the flour and salt and beat really well so that there's no
    lumps.
7. Finally add the greek yoghurt and beat well, one last time.

8. Pour half the cheesecake mix onto the biscuit base. Then as an option you can put 5-6 full oreos
    around the center of the middle and then cover with the res of the cheescake mixture, making sure
    the oreos are covered.
9. Bake for and hour to 75 mins. Check it after 45 mins and make sure it's not browning too much,
    you can add a tin foil hat if needs be (to protect it's thoughts from the oven....). You will know it's
    done when there is a slight and importantly uniform wiggle all over when you shake it gently.

10. While it's baking, take the rest(1.5 packets) of the oreos and take the cream out of half of these,
       again crush them, add 1 tablespoon of butter and mix.
11. When you have established that the wobble on the cheesecake is good cover the whole top with
     the second biscuit layer, spread it evenly but don't push it down. Then put it back into the oven for
     a final 10 minutes.
12. Remove from the oven, let it cool on a wire wrack and then cool for 12-24 hours in the fridge.
    This is probably the hardest part but it's necessary.

Now for your viewing pleasure I will bring you step by step through the enjoyment process.

You approach the cheesecake with your utensils and your respect
You slowly cut through the different layers, savouring the texture contrast as you do
You section off a respectable bite and take a moment to prepare yourself for this experience
Then you put your fork down while you succumb to the flavours that are being described inside your head in the M&S voice.
Enjoy ;)

4 comments:

  1. OMG. Cheesecake and oreos. If I show this to my husband, I will definitely get a baking request!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that because this was actually a baking request from my bf and he's extremely pleased with the outcome, so I'm in the good books for a while ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to have come across this recipe...it's going straight into my 'to try' recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, I really hope you enjoy it =)

      Delete

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...