Thursday, March 22, 2012

Key Lime Cheesecake - A mother's day present and her review

Mother's day gift's are a difficult decision for anyone. My mum has lots of interests to choose from but the question is always whether to go with a significant present that is specific to her or something more cliche like chocolates or flowers. It seems like an obvious choice - go for something thoughtful for her but then there is something nice about flowers at the start of spring and cliche are cliches for a reason right?! This year we decided to go for a combo flowers and something she might specifically enjoy. I couldn't actually go to my parents house for dinner that day but as a part of the present I decided to provide desert. I love the concept of Key-Lime pie but in fact I have never ever eaten it so I can't be 100% sure that this tastes similar enough but I am hoping. I really focused on the citrus zing and contrasting that with sweetness. I tried to make the most of the zest oils in this recipe. My mum was delighted with the present and the cheesecake and when she rang me yesterday her review was 'It's delicious, maybe a little too delicious, it tastes very naughty!'


Key - Lime Cheesecake

Base
250g Reduced fat Digestive Biscuit crumbs
75g   Melted Butter
Zest of one lemon

Cheese Layer
600g Cream Cheese
3 egg whites & 2 egg yolks beaten together
90 g Stevia/ Sugar
Zest and Juice of 2 limes
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp Green Food colouring (optional)

Preheat your oven to 190/375/Gas mark 5. Mix the biscuit crumbs and lemon zest for 2-3 minutes. (the idea is to distribute the zest and the oils as much as possible through the base). Add the melted butter and mix thoroughly. Line the base of a spring-form cake tin and press the biscuit mixture down firmly. Let it rest in the fridge while you mix the cheese layer.

In a stand mixer or using a beater whip up the cream cheese. Add the zest, juice and colouring then beat thoroughly. Add the eggs and sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture on top of the base and place the cake tin inside a larger baking tin and bake for 50 minutes or until the outside is firm with only a little movement in the center. Remove from the over and leave in the larger cake tin until cool. Once cool place in a fridge until fully cold. Place some lime slices on the top for decoration and serve.

I also made individual heart-shaped cheese cakes for some other people's mothers.




The fluffy yet creamy cheesecake that is almost 'too delicious'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...